Frequently Asked Questions
Say goodbye to mascara forever ladies… and hello to rolling out of bed looking beautiful!
1. What are Eyelash Extensions?
- Eyelash Extensions are synthetic ‘lashes’ that are applied to your own eyelashes to make them longer and thicker. Each lash extension is gracefully curved to replicate the lines of a natural eyelash.
- Eyelash Extensions provide that little extra ‘something’ for special occasions. Yet because they are so natural looking, they are a wonderful addition to your everyday wardrobe. They work wonderfully at the office, are in good shape at the health club, and make your eyes magnetic wherever your day might take you.
- We specialize eyelash extensions, it’s what we do day in and day out. This is not your convenience full service salon or spa offering multiple services, we are the place you go if you want the best, incredibly sexy lashes.
- At Ooh la lash, you can expect the finest quality of designer lashes and application techniques. All of our lash artists have been obsessively trained to give perfected lashes, one lash at a time.
2. What holds my eyelash extensions in place?
- The ‘miracle’ of eyelash extensions is the special waterproof bonding agent that we use. The eyelash extensions are applied to directly to your lashes, not to your skin. The long-lasting glue does not contain any fumes or irritants, so it is safe and comfortable.
3. How Long do extensions last? I have read they can last up to 3 months!
- This is an industry half truth (half lie) used in marketing. Lashes have a 3 month life cycle from the growth state, to the resting state, and finally to the shedding stage. 3 months from beginning to end, give or take a few DAYS. Your eyelashes shed off every day just like your hair.
- If extensions are applied properly you will be shedding your lashes naturally and new lashes will be growing in. However if lashes are IMPROPERLY applied they can appear to last longer since a clump of lashes glued together will not allow the natural shedding process to take place.
The downside to improperly applied lashes is they are painful as the lashes that are growing are plucking out the lashes that are resting. Given enough time you will have successfully plucked out your eyelashes. Know what happens when you repeatedly pluck your brows? Yes, you guessed it, permanent hair loss.
- There should never be two natural lashes glued together, unless you truly want your lash line to look like a plucked chicken. Proper extension training cannot be trivialized.
At Ooh la lash, you will get no false promises, or over hyped marketing. While we have clients that go 6 weeks between their fills the average runs about 3 weeks. If you choose to do no maintenance your lashes will shed off and by 3 months you will be back to where you started, but with no damage to your lash line. Many of our clients experience better lashes by about the 6 month mark due to no lash curlers, pulling or tugging, or mascara drying out their lashes causing breakage!
4. How do I choose the look I want?
- Ooh la lash Extensions can be completely customized to fit your personal taste. You may choose from a number of lengths and thickness. To ensure that the results are exactly what you want, our eyelash extension expert will consult with you before beginning.
- Since each person’s lashes are unique in terms of strength and length, our technician will assess your natural lashes to determine what they can support in regards to size. Next she’ll talk with you to learn more about the style you are interested in. Then and only then, will she create the ‘look’ that is best for you.
5. How long does the application process take?
- It takes anywhere from 45-90 minutes to apply eyelash extensions properly. The application process is pain-free and so soothing that most clients fall asleep during the procedure. All you need to do is relax, lie back comfortably on a massage or facial table and close your eyes.
- An under-eye gel pad will be used to cover your lower lashes. Then our eyelash extension expert will assess each individual lash, and carefully apply the perfect individual lash extensions for you.
6. How often will I need a touch-up?
- Your individual experience will be unique based on your day-to-day activities. If you swim or use a steam room or if you frequently touch your eyes, it is possible that your eyelash extensions will dislodge sooner. A 45-minute touch-up is usually recommended every 2 to 3 weeks to fill in any lashes that have fallen out.
7. Are eyelash extensions safe?
- Eyelash Extensions have gone through trials, tests, and everyday use. The verdict: They are safe. Your natural lashes are not plucked or waxed. The lashes are applied with an adhesive with a formulation that includes many of the products used to create safe, suture-free wound closure options for doctors.
- However, unhygienic conditions can lead to problems and improper application by an unqualified eyelash technician can cause damage to your natural lashes. That’s why we recommend that you visit Lava Lash and put yourself in the hands of our certified eyelash extension specialist for a safe, carefree experience.
8. Does it hurt to have Eyelash Extensions applied?
- No! Not if they are properly applied. Most people sleep right through their appointment calling it a ‘guilt free’ nap.
- Can I use an eyelash curler on my eyelash extensions?
- We recommend that you avoid mechanical eyelash curlers as they can damage the extensions and possibly your own natural lashes. Lava Lash extensions have a natural curl ‘built in,’ but if wish to create a more pronounced curl; we suggest you use a heated eyelash curler.
9. Can I wear mascara on my eyelash extensions?
- You don’t need mascara. Ooh la lash extensions give the illusion that you are already wearing mascara, because your lashes look so lush and thick. However, if you wish, you may further enhance your look with water-based mascara only. Oil-based and waterproof mascaras should be avoided as agents in their formulations will dissolve the bonding agent used to apply your extensions.
- Important note: When removing water-based mascara, be sure to use only water-based eye makeup removers. Other products will also interfere with the bonding process.
10. How do I take care of my new extensions?
- Less is more. The less you fiddle, touch, pet or play with them, the better they last. It is important that you keep them clean so we recommend you wash them at least once a day to remove natural oils and environmental pollutants. Healthy lashes are clean lashes.